Passengers fly into Minangkabau International Airport in Padang, West Sumatera (airport code: PDG) and should arrive on the first day of their scheduled charter dates (for example, if your trip is April 11-24, you should arrive in Padang on the 11th) and we recommend overnight stays be done in Singapore, KL, Bali, Jakarta etc and arrive in Padang on the first day of your charter.
A Visa is required on arrival into Indonesia (temporary travel visa) – there is no longer a cost for this Visa.
NOTE – To exit arrival area you must show your ‘luggage slips’ for your luggage.
You may use the porter service with the normal “tip” is around Rp 20,000 or you can collect your luggage yourself and go outside where you will be met by MENTAWAI SURF CO ground agent who will take you and your baggage to the transfer vehicles and will transfer you, your luggage and your group either directly tour VESSELS, or a meeting place, if you are waiting for others to arrive on later flights.
Once you are met by the MENTAWAI SURF CO crew please relax and let them take care of all your needs.
Check in time to MENTAWAI SURF CO is between 2-6pm and check out time is 10am on the morning of departure.
You will travel overnight and arrive for the ‘early session’ the next morning at a chosen break.
Mentawai Government Tax
The Mentawai Government has introduced a Tax for surfing in Mentawai Islands as of 1st August 2016 and applies to all surfers both on land or boat – 1.000.000 IDR per 15 days (approx.$100).
This Tax must be paid before you surf at the first break – it can be paid directly in the Mentawais however this would restrict your travel route and take up valuable time therefore the Charter Boat Association has set up an office in Padang for the payment of this Mentawai Surf Tax
MENTAWAI SURF CO ground crew will collect the 1.000.000 (approx. $100 ) from you upon landing in Padang, process the paperwork and supply you with “Tickets and wrist bands” required.
The boat will return in the early morning of the last day of the charter and guests should plan to fly out that day – for example: if your charter dates are April 11-24 :
- Arrive in Padang on the 11th.
- The boat will depart in the afternoon or early evening on the 11th, when all passengers have arrived.
- The boat will return to Padang harbor either the night of the 23rd or early morning on the 24th.
- After breakfast (on the 24th), you will be transferred to Padang airport to catch your departing flight.
Ground transportation will be provided from the MSC back to Padang airport.
NOTE – Exit Tax upon departure from Indonesia is no longer required.
What to Bring
In addition to all the usual items (surf gear and personal items), there are a few important things to remember:
- Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months beyond intended departure from Indonesia)
- Copy of passport – which will be needed during the trip
- Airline ticket.
- Copy of Airline ticket.
- CREDIT CARD for any emergency payments required
- Indonesian Rupiah for porters, departure tax and souvenir purchases from local villagers
- Travel insurance documents
- Any medication you may need or that your doctor recommends for traveling to Indonesia
- A small personal first-aid kit to help make and keep small cuts clean
PLEASE ensure each surfer has the best cover possible on your trip – if something should happen to any guest onboard it would affect everyone on the trip.
MSC is not responsible for any costs involving a medical emergency, therefore your safety is paramount to us. We can recommend Surf Travel Insurance to give you the optimum coverage you require for your trip at affordable prices.
Follow this link for details –https://www.surftravelinsurance.com.au/mentawai-surf-co